Apple releases iOS firmware updates periodically to correct problems, improve security, and add new features to your iPad. To update the operating system on your iPad to the latest version, follow these steps:
1. Turn on and connect your iPad to the computer.
2. Launch iTunes if the program isn't already running.
3. Click the name of your iPad under the DEVICES menu on the left side of the iTunes window.
4. On the main screen under Version click the Check for Update button.
5. If a new firmware version is available a dialog box will appear asking if you wish to download the update or download and install the update.
6. To install the update click Download and Install.
7. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the update process on your iPad.