You can, but the shuffle feature is harder to find on the iPad. To shuffle songs from your music collection or a smart playlist in the iPod app:
1. Touch the Songs button.
2. Drag down on the list to reveal the hidden Shuffle function at the top of the song list.
3. Touch Shuffle to mix up the tracks. You can reveal the hidden Shuffle function at the top of a smart playlist, too.
To shuffle songs from a single album:
1. Touch the Albums button.
2. Double tap the album you want to hear.
3. Play any song from the album.
4. Touch the cover of the Now Playing album in the lower left corner to bring up full screen.
5. Double tap the screen for a track listing.
6. The Shuffle function in the upper right corner can be selected to mix up the tracks from the chosen album.