After releasing several betas over two months, Apple has finally launched the first public version of iOS 10.2. The update for the sixth-generation iPod touch, iPhone and iPad includes a variety of new features, improvements and bug fixes.
As you may have already heard, Apple has redesigned many of the emojis in iOS 10. This caused a temporary social media uproar when it was revealed that the classic "butt" peach emoji was altered, but Apple has since changed it back. iOS 10 also includes support for Unicode 9.0 with over 100 new emoji for the Messages app.
iOS 10.2 also introduces two new screen effects, Celebration and Send With Love, to the Messages app. These can be sent just like the original screen effects, Confetti, Fireworks and so on, but iPhone and iPad users must have iOS 10.2 installed to receive them.
Other new features include Apple's new TV app, the new Single Sign-On feature, a Preserve Settings option for the Camera, 3 new wallpapers and more.
The new TV app and Single Sign-On allows users to easily access their purchased movies and television shows in one place, and log in to apps supported by their television provider. Apple today also released tvOS 10.1 for the Apple TV, which includes its own version of the new TV app and Single Sign-On. You can add your cable or satellite provider information on your iOS device by navigating to the new TV Provider sections of the Settings app.
One minor redesign in the Music app also makes it easier to access the Shuffle, Repeat and Up Next options. This may not seem like a big deal to some, but the some iOS users were confused by Apple's previous design, and most should be happy with how easy it is to now find Repeat in iOS 10.2.
You can install iOS 10.2 OTA by navigating to Settings > Software Update, or via iTunes by connecting your device to your computer.
iOS 10. release notes:
iOS 10.2 introduces new features including the TV app (US Only), a new and unified experience for accessing your TV shows and movies across multiple video apps. Emoji have been beautifully redesigned to reveal even more detail and over 100 new emoji have been added including new faces, food, animals, sports, and professions. This update also includes stability improvements and bug fixes.
- Use Up Next to see the movies and shows you’re currently watching and pick up where you left off
- Get recommendations for new movies and TV shows in Watch Now
- Discover new apps and the latest iTunes releases in the Store
- Access the Library for your iTunes purchases and rentals
- Beautifully redesigned emoji that reveal even more detail
- Over 100 new emoji including new faces, food, animals, sports, and professions
- Improves stabilization and delivers faster frame rate for Live Photos
- Improves accuracy of groupings of similar photos of the same person in the People album
- Fixes an issue where Memories might generate a memory from photos of screenshots, whiteboards or receipts
- Fixes an issue where the camera would stay zoomed in after switching back from the Camera Roll on iPhone 7 Plus
- Additional support for RAW digital cameras
- Adds new love and celebration full screen effects in Messages
- Fixes an issue that sometimes prevented the keyboard from displaying in Messages
- Swipe up the Now Playing screen to more easily access Shuffle, Repeat and Up Next
- Choose how to sort Playlists, Albums, and Songs in Library
- Stories you’ve saved for later now appear the new Saved section
- The best paid stories from channels you subscribe to will now appear in a dedicated section in For You
- It’s now easier than ever to get to the next story, just swipe left or tap Next Story while reading
- Adds BraillePen14 support to VoiceOver
- Fixes an issue where the braille table could switch unexpectedly with VoiceOver
- Fixes an issue where sometimes Siri enhanced voices were unavailable to VoiceOver
- Fixes an issue where VoiceOver users could not re-order items in lists
- Fixes an issue where Switch Control was sometimes unable to delete Voicemails
Other improvements and fixes
- Adds notification support for HomeKit accessories including window coverings, occupancy, motion, door/window, smoke, carbon monoxide, and water leak sensors
- Adds notification support for HomeKit accessories when software updates are available to HomeKit accessories
- Improves Bluetooth performance and connectivity with 3rd party accessories
- Fixes an issue that could cause FaceTime participants to appear out of focus
- Fixes an issue that could cause FaceTime calls to appear with incorrect aspect ratio and orientation
- Fixes an issue that prevented some Visual Voicemail from completing playback
- Fixes a Safari Reader issue that could cause articles to open as empty pages
- Fixes an issue that could cause Safari to quit unexpectedly after marking an item as read in Reading List